Monday, November 17, 2008

A Writer's Life

One of my favorite books about writing is On Writing, by Stephen King. If you've read much King, or heard about it, you probably think a guide to the art of writing is unlikely for him. After all, he largely focuses on horror: Cujo, Christine,The Tommyknockers, It ... and now Duma Key: A Novel. But he's a colorful writer no matter what genre. Clearly he enjoys writing, entertaining and being entertained.

In On Writing King writes, "...if you expect to succeed as a writer, rudeness should be the second-to-least of your concerns. The least of all should be polite society and what it expects. If you intend to write as truthfully as you can, your days as a member of polite society are numbered, anyway."

Well, if I learn to write with as much honesty as I tend to speak, I'll be a bestseller someday, too.

If you're interested in writing, I urge you to pick up this book and give it a read. It won't take much time, and I guarantee it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog featured with: