Saturday, August 16, 2008

Steelhead and Moose, what a day!

August 14, 2008
With all of us suffering from the shared cooties, we opted to stay put today. We slept in, had a late breakfast, rinse and hung the laundry, unpacked, set up our fishing gear and had lunch. Then we set out for the island in the middle of the river upstream about ¼ mile. Well, turns out walking on these round river rocks is even TOUGHER in the water than out! My river shoes were useless as were the girls water socks. When we tried to cross the shallow river, we found it shallow for ME, but a bit too deep for V or E to pass with the combination of depth and current. If I’d had my boots on, I think we’d have done fine, but it was all I could do not to moan and complain and gripe about slipping and sliding on the stones (slightly slimy) below. I don’t think Lewis & Clark would have accepted me into the Corps of Discovery!

We spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the river shore nearer to camp. I decided to just practice my fly casting, and on the third cast came up with a Steelhead! It wasn’t very big (no more than 7”) but it was beautiful, and a fighter, and fun to catch. What a surprise! Particularly given that it was midday, shallow, basically a terrible time and spot for fishing! Continued practicing. Improved my cast, but no further bites.

Traded peach cobbler for split wood Gail and ?Scott? had in abundance. (They’re planning to leave tomorrow morning and will leave it all behind.) We had JUST burned the last of the wood we’d brought from home, so this was a fantastic turn of events for us! The girls also enjoyed taking the dogs for walks around the campground loop.
OH! And we saw a moose cow! It walked right through the campground shortly before dark! The moose is the ONE animal I’d really wanted to see in the wild while we were in Yellowstone last year. No dice there, but they’re apparently relatively plentiful around here. She was fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog featured with: