Thursday, October 29, 2009

Why I Post By Dark of Night

Some folks have noticed the time stamp on my e-mails and posts don't exactly reflect normal waking hours. I tend to work late. I've been a night owl as long as I can remember. Even as a kid, I'd lie awake in bed and tell myself stories or sing to myself until all hours. SO, it's really no surprise to me that I'm up well past "bedtime."

It has its advantages. First, there are few interruptions after 9 p.m. or so. Folks I know don't generally call each other late (except for, perhaps, parents who know my m.o.) The kids are in bed. Sometimes even the husband has gone to bed early so he can make his early morning wake-up call for work. Best of all, the Internet runs better at night. At least my connection does.

Right now, I'm trying to access my e-mail. It's frustrating the bajeezus out of me! My Internet connection runs like slowly congealing turkey gravy on Thanksgiving Day. Plop - here's a connection. Slip, slid, slowly sink into the next Web page. Plop - here's your e-mail box. Stick - no further response from the system. PLOP! Sudden onslaught of access. Then nothing. It's in there, but it ain't comin' out anytime soon.

But I can type away here on my blog, yammer on incessantly while staring at my screen, the click "publish" and walk away to clean up the dishes, do the laundry or take my turkey-induced nap. Eventually, the blog post will make it through the leftover drippings of daytime Internet connectivity to the serving plate.

Share this post with:

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm... The visions of jellifying turkey gravy being compared to slow-moving internet... ONLY a connection that a true writer could come up with! Creative Writing instructors across the world would be proud! Way to go! (and get some sleep)

    ReplyDelete

Blog featured with: