Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book Review by E: "Portaits: Dancing Through Fire" (Kathryn Lasky)

I really, really liked this book! "Dancing Through Fire" is a captivating story about a 13-year-old dancer in France during the Franco-Prussian War. The main character is a student at the Paris Opera Ballet. She wants to advance, but she's not tall enough. But when war breaks out, she finds out that there is life beyond ballet.

ImageIf you've been reading my reviews, you know I'm a dance fanatic and I like historical fiction. I also like art, so this story is an obvious choice for me. "Dancing Through Fire" is based on painter Edgar Degas' painting  L'etoile (La danseuse sur la scene) [The Star (Dancer on Stage)] which he made in 1878.

Of course, it all depends upon the reader, but I think this book is good for readers ages 10 to 15. There's some scary parts and death, but nothing very inappropriate given that the story is about wartime. But war is not the central focus of the story, and author leaves the reader satisfied in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog featured with: