Sunday, November 28, 2010

Compassion - A Quote Worth Remembering

Today, this quote showed up on a friend's social media page. I really liked it:

"When we finally know we are dying, and all other sentient beings are dying with us, we start to have a burning, almost heartbreaking sense of the fragility and preciousness of each moment and each being, and from this can grow a deep, clear, limitless compassion for all beings."
- Sogyal Rinpoche

In realization, I don't think he meant in our final moments. I think he meant when we mature enough to realize that not only won't we live forever, but we may die any time. Nothing has made me more aware of this than having my own children, and my own brain surgery.

Every moment is precious - sometimes, it's so hard to keep that in mind. Particularly as we go through our everyday motions.

In 2011, I hope to be more mindful of this, among other, truths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog featured with: