Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blueberry Pie

While we were away on our last trip, V mentioned pumpkin pie a time or two. I think the idea got into her head during our summertime Thanksgiving dinner at Grandma's and Grandpa's. Once home, I decided to make her a pie. (It's no fun having a hankering for weeks on end.) The pie crust recipe is large enough for a whole covered pie or two topless pies. So, once we had V's pie ready for the oven, I asked the girls what we should do with the extra crust.

E was quick to the mark.

"Blueberry pie!"

She's also been talking about blueberry pie for awhile and we recently picked blueberries at a local farm. So, blueberry pie it was. E was so excited about the pie that she offered to help. It was pretty simple and tasted DELICIOUS when we were finished. The only problem was that the baking time which led to a wonderfully thickened fruit filling also burned the crud out of the crust edges. Ah well. We managed.



Share this post with:

2 comments:

  1. This is what I do to prevent my pie crust from burning. I use stripes of aluminum foil around the edges to prevent burning. My sister went to a Pampered Chef party a few years ago and bought me an aluminum ring for the pie crust. Which works great if you’re using a 9inch pie pan.

    Be safe and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear JBest: Oh, I guess you do not know the pie crust trick. Pie crust edges
    will not burn, IF, you take a square of aluminum foil, cut a hole in the center
    not quite a big as the pie, and gently lay it across the top of the pie at about

    the half-done stage. The foil kind of just "floats" over the top of the pie,
    keeping the edges from burning. My old cooking trick of the week. Still hopping,

    feeling fine, but always VERY BUSY. Just like you. Love to the girls and the big

    guy.

    ReplyDelete

Blog featured with: