Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Deeds 'n' Snow 'n' Blogs - OH MY!

So sorry to have been out of touch with this blog lately. It's not that I haven't been writing. I've been fiddling here and there. Okay! Not here! But certainly here, and more recently here. Not to mention trying to keep up with design here and here and sometimes even here.

Thanks to completion of "Best Family Adventures: Santa Barbara County," which I'm told is on a truck headed for the Central Coast, I'm actually sleeping most nights. And thanks to some difficulties with our external hard drive, I'm less tempted to fiddle with the pictures I'd LIKE to upload here, but which will most likely vanish (again!?) when I plug it into this machine. While a bummer on one hand, it means a lot less time at the keyboard for me.

In coming weeks, I hope to be able to show you pictures of our latest adventures which have included: cycling for ALL of us (no more training wheels for ANYone in this family - woo hoo and wah all at the same time); skiing in the Sierra (ever been stuck on a ski lift during a power outage? Great way to find some one-on-one time with your kid); garden spring cleaning and planting (weeds out, peas in); horseback riding in the wind (and sometimes rain); hiking Montana de Oro (the waves. OH! the waves!); and generally enjoying each other's company (and silliness), largely at home.

I continue to find the world a baffling place:
- a federal ban on texting for commercial bus and truck drivers (what about the rest of the idiots who think texting and driving mix)?
- school shootings ever more prevalent (in Tacoma (WA), near Jefferson County (CO), Knoxville (TN), Madison (AL), at the university level and as far away as Germany), one of the millions of disgruntled taxpayers took violent action, and, closer to home, a local university faced threats of violence.
- state budgets going to hell in a handbasket (selling state-owned buildings - is it really enough at this point?) and everyone else following suit.
Even Nature's going haywire.

Yep, I listen to the news. It's troubling, and while I blog here, raise my children the best I can, vote, write letters and try to do the best I can as an active citizen, I can't help but feel like a speck of dust crushed by the cogs in the wheels of a larger machine.

Back to the garden - where news doesn't find me.


Share this post with:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog featured with: