Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book Review by E: "The Thirteenth Princess" (Diane Zahler)

I read the first couple of chapters a few months ago while I was at the library, but I didn't get to finish it that day. This week, I looked for it again so I could bring it home because I wanted to find out what would happen. The author roped me in quickly and I just had to know what happened!

"The Thirteenth Princess" is kind of a retelling of the classic fairytale "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," but in this version there was one more princess and when her father found out she wasn't a boy, he sent her to be a scullery maid. Her sisters all know she's a princess and let her sleep with them every Sunday, but then the first twelve start to get sick because they're all so tired and they hardly eat and can't pay attention, but the thirteenth princess discovers the real source of their "illness."

This book is definitely for girls, probably ages 9 to 13. Younger kids might like it, but there are some scary parts involving potential tragedy, deep enchantments, and evil people. There's some light name calling, but only in teasing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog featured with: