Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ideas for Grandparents - Staying in Touch

Who doesn't love a care package? And what child doesn't thrill at just about any mail with her name on it arriving at the front door? Cards? Check. Letters? Check. Auto-generated credit card offers for two year olds? You bet. With my voting obsession behind me, I had time to head over to Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers to catch up on some fun reading this morning and picked up this fantastic idea for grandparents who don't live near their grandchildren. It's one I'll put in my memory banks for the future, just in case I'm lucky enough to have grandchildren, but not fortunate enough to live nearby.

Essentially, a grandparent shares one of her favorite books with her grandchild not just by packaging it up and mailing it away. In addition, she records herself reading the story and includes that reading in the package. Maybe there are other items in the box or envelope, too, but the key gift is the recording of the loving voice reading a story she dearly loves.

For me, voices are super important. I'm pretty good at identifying people on the phone by their voices. You say, "Hello," and I pick up the conversation from there as if we were face to face. None of that proper, "This is Frangible Tangible." (I think that's why I so rudely don't identify myself when I call other people. Or maybe I'm simply rude.) Recording of my dearly departed Other Mother singing and Great Grandfather telling stories and just sharing his thoughts are among my most dear possessions. When the people are gone, their voices help bring back their images more clearly. So such recordings could be not only a good immediate reminder of the grandparents who love them, but also heirlooms.

But what would I read? Oh, I have a few ideas. Here are some of my favorites, to be stuck in the memory banks until I have grandchildren of my own with whom to share them:
Millions of Cats by Wanda Ga'ag
Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw
Miss Spider's Tea Party by David Kirk
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
The Grannyman
by Judy Schachner
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish by Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
How Do I Love You
by P. K. Hallinan
Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton
Harry the Dirty Dog (treasury)
by Gene Zion
Guess How Much I Love You
by Sam McBratney
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Wynken, Blinkin& Nod by Eugene Field
Going to Sleep on the Farm Wendy Cheyette Lewison
How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight by Jane Yolen
And though there's not much to it, this one tickles me: Yummy Yucky by Lisa Patricelli

What are some of your favorites?

Share this post with:

2 comments:

  1. I still get a warm smile EVERY time I see the book Bambi. My Dad read the book of Bambi to the three of us when we were little kids. I LOVED IT! To this day, I can close my eyes and hear Dad's voice telling us the story. GREAT IDEA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite story that I would read to my son over and over again per his request was “ there’s a monster at the end of the book (cookie monster that is). One of the many sesame street characters my son and I enjoyed as he was growing up. I do so miss those days.

    ReplyDelete

Blog featured with: