Saturday, January 17, 2009

Do Jedi Mind Tricks Work on Frozen Poles?

If you received this update via e-mail, please note there may be associated photos available only on the actual blog. Visit site to see the latest.

It is said that many people have TERRIBLE memories of their high school proms. I am not one of those people. In fact, I have great, vivid, Technicolor memories of my senior prom. Don't get excited. This isn't a tale that ends in the steamy backseat of someones limo (or even borrowed car).

First you have to understand that in OUR high school, most of the "band geeks" were also varsity letter winners in a variety of sports. So we joyfully greeted each other with a, "Hey, Band Geek!" There was a group of us that hung out together, not only during band functions, but on our weekends and after school. It was one of these fellow band geeks who invited me, quite by surprise, to the prom.

Prom night brought a double date for dinner. My date picked me up in his dad's pickup rather than his own '50-something truck that was a bit scruffy, but, like my date, had lots of character. He took me to his house for dinner. The plan - a barbecue served to the girls in a classy, home-style restaurant by the guys.

My date had started the coals with his best friend (the other girl's date), then left the coals in said friend's care. The coals should have been burning down quite nicely by the time we pulled into the driveway. Instead, we pulled in just in time to see said fire tender squirting a stream of flammable liquid on the hot coals sending huge flames toward the eaves under which the boys had set up the barbecue. As my date leaped out of the car to save the house (and the fire tender), the other boy said he thought he'd add fuel because it looked like the fire was going out.

Today, that guy is a news writer/producer for a network television station in one of the nation's largest markets. He writes about big news, you know, important stuff. There are statistics to check, facts to juggle. Fortunately, there are no matches.

For fun, he shares things like this:
My friend Amanda had never seen a whole Star Wars film. When I asked her if she wanted to watch the original trilogy she said that she would, but that she already knew what happens. So I took out my voice recorder and asked her to start from the top...


Star Wars: Retold (by someone who hasn't seen it) from Joe Nicolosi on Vimeo

And on his news channel's website today is this tidbit from a sister station in Kansas. I couldn't pass it up!

1 comment:

Blog featured with: