Friday, May 30, 2008

Rejection

I'm not sure how many people know just how much rejection freelance journalists of any description face. Let me just tell you, if you can't take rejection, this is NOT the job for you!

This week I received a pair of rejection letters. The first was the most recent in a long series from publishers not interested in the childrens' stories I've been submitting in hopes of publication. The second was from a public relations agent for a trailer company.

Trailer company?

That's right. If you've been keeping up with us, you know we'd been looking into a trailer and just about dropped that idea, but I held out one last hope. I had pitched a publicity stunt of sorts with an American trailer company which has just released a super-light-weight, family-size trailer. What better way to publicize this new brand than to have it out on the road, visiting national parks and state parks and points in between throughout the course of the travel season?

The book publishers generally send copied form letters, perhaps with your name hand written after "Dear" in the opener. At least the trailer marketing guru was more personal and offered kind words. So I end the week with rejections, but with this positive comment offered, "Your credentials and work ethic are outstanding."

So...tent it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog featured with: