Friday, October 30, 2009

California-think: "Unemployment's on the rise. Let's raise income taxes!"


This blog space doesn't usually get into this type of politics, but tonight I'm steamed to distraction, so I'm just going to vent here. Not that anyone who can do anything about it will EVER read this blog.
This guy, who dropped the ball on the final vote, and his peers who failed to record a vote certainly won't listen. But I'll feel better knowing I've exercised my First Amendment right, then I can move on with my evening.

***
It's happening all over the country - lawmakers whose jobs are secure (until election time) and incomes, no doubt, no issue are approving and implementing increases in income tax while unemployment continues to rise, hours continue to be cut, and rising costs becoming financially unbearable. I know they're trying to make their screwed up budgets work, but I propose they do it the way real people do - cut your spending to match your income.

Today, my own personal public servant and our home's breadwinner came home with a note informing all employees that, due to the passage of California Assembly Bill 17, a new tax schedule has been adopted, effective Nov. 1 (essentially immediately). The tax deduction taken from paychecks of those Californians still legally and gainfully employed will be higher, so net pay lower. Sure, it's just a fraction, and I'm glad we have an income, but, gee, is this really the right time to take this measure?

Thanks, Noreen. I mean, I know you're just the fall-gal as the author of this legislation. Still, did you really think this would be good news for employees who have already faced a year of income reduction to accommodate the city budget raided by the state of California? Certainly as we look toward a new year in which we've been promised further reduction in pay to help the city meet its burgled budget, this tax increase is just more bad news.

And what do you expect to get from those who already lost their jobs, Missy? Didn't your mom teach you about that old turnip. (Just a hint: vegetables' veins don't run red.)

Share this post with:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog featured with: